Old 02-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Simon Avery

Default The best bit of gardening

"H" wrote:

Hello H

Can it get any better than this?

H The top third of my garden is a tropical one. Lots of
H bananas, cannas, tree ferns, palms, phormiums, cycads etc.

Wow. Not much chance of that on an east-facing Dartmoor hill though...

H At this time of the year, they are all growing strongly. In
H the middle is my small pond. I've put a wooden log alongside
H as a seat. Early every morning, I make myself a large cup of
H latte and go sit quietly besides my pond. The 'rocket' fish
H come up to say 'morning' and I give them breakfast. The
H frogs stick their heads up under the water lily leaves,
H looking like they are wearing huge hats. The red and blue
H dragonflies fly laps around the pond and the local friendly
H wasps come in for a drink. Best of all though in my opinion,
H are my newts. They come up to see what's happening, and then
H 'play' near the surface. They are absolutely brilliant.
H A great way to start the day...

Sounds great. My newt, Norris, is either moving around a lot or
there's a second one in now (pond's too big to tell for sure). I hope
it's not Morris because while I'm not homophobic, I want little newts.
One of the houses I grew up in had hundreds of newts and I spent many
a little-boy hour watching them.

Not a frog or toad in sight though, guess I missed them this year.
Even the one I rescued out of a drain cover at work has hopped it.

Nice surprise this afternoon when I came home - the goldfish have been
doing naughty things and I've just spotted my first ever baby fishes!

I'm so proud! I'm a grandad!