Old 02-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Dave K.

Default Ryobi trimmer line jams

I have a Ryobi TrimmerPlus 990R trimmer, and ever since I got it two years
ago, the line jams about every 2nd use. The line just quits coming out of
the holes on the head, so I have to take it apart and rewind/rethread the
line. This is a major pain to do, especially since I have to do it about
every second time I use it.

On the advice of others from earlier postings, I've made sure I've done the
following:

* Only bump the head to extend more line when the trimmer is running fast.

* I've wrapped the line onto the spool as described in the instruction
manual, making sure it doesn't overlap, and I've winded it on while holding
a finger between the two lines to keep them separated. Are there any other
tricks?

* I try not to let the line get too short when trimming before bumping it to
get more line.

* I bought some high-grade better line (diamond shaped rather than round) to
replace the standard Ryobi line. Someone said better line is less likely to
"fuse" together within the spool.

* I've replaced the whole bump-head assemble

Well, I've tried everything above, and nothing has fixed it. The line still
gets stuck in the housing. Any other advice would be appreciated. Also, do
any of those alternatives to trimmer line work any better than real trimmer
line? Maybe I just need to buy a whole different head system.

--
NOTE: Please delete the word "REMOVE" from my e-mail address when replying.
This is a spam guard.