Old 02-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Pete

Default An Amazing Iris

"Sue & Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Sid" wrote in message ...
Is this unusual? I've a yellow bearded iris that's grown taller than

I've
ever seen this type before. It's 44" high and has 5 blooms on one stem.
The blooms are truly enormous.

It's on an east-facing bed, stony fairly unnourished soil, except this
flower bed is right outside the back kitchen door and where we've lately
been emptying the teapot!

It seems to be a good year for Tall Bearded Irises, we have some that have
never flowered before that are this year. Friends report the same, with

one
that has grown into a large clump but never flowered. They are now

searching
for the name as they had forgotten they had ever bought one of that

colour.

Same here. We moved in 5 years ago and I noticed Iris' at the back of the
garden. For 3 years they did not flower. Then I read up and realised they
need lifting and dividing every year(?). So I did this, moved them (against
East facing fence, soil not too good etc.) and no flowers again last year.
THEN, this year they are taller and nearly every one has developed the
flower stalk and produced the yellow flowers as others seem to have found.
Must just be the particular combination of weather this year (we're in
Ipswich, East Anglia). Best take some photos in case I never see them
again!

Pete

Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.