Old 02-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Simon Avery

Default pond, mosquitoes & DDT - potential neighbour dispute

"Jez Phillips" wrote:

Hello Jez

JP I have a pond in my garden. My neighbour is concerned that
JP at dusk the pond attracts mosquitoes, which then go off to
JP their house and bite them. I think they have suffered
JP allergic reations to the bites.

JP They have suggested spraying DDT to kill the mosquitoes.

Not only unavailable for 20+ years, it'll kill all your wildlife in
and around your pond.

JP Here's the state of the pond:
JP * No pump
JP * Full of oxygenating plants & netted in winter to keep
JP leaves out, so water not a stagnant soup
JP * Full of tadpoles, pond skaters, damselflies, a few
JP ramshorn snails, other critters
JP * No sighting of mosquito larvae

Any fish? Fish love mozzie larvae, but they're pretty obvious things
so if you aren't seeing them then they're unlikely to be there.

JP It seems to me that there is no action to be taken over
JP mosquitoes breeding in the pond because I can't see the
JP larvae in the water. Is that correct?

Sounds right to me.

JP Is there anything I can do to stop them congregating at
JP dusk. Place a mosquito net over the pond?

Naw. They sit or swarm in cool shady spots during the day, which could
be anywhere.

JP When the mosquiroes fly close to the surfaceof the pond, are
JP they drinking water from the pond?

They'll settle on the surface to lay eggs, but that's about it.

JP Are there any targetted sprays, organic products etc that
JP will deal with this. There'll be no point havin a pond if
JP DDT goes in there.

Nothing that's effective, and anyway, you don't have larvae in your
pond, right?

JP Any research or studies that have gone into this kind of
JP thing that show applying DDT is a silly thing to do?

Plenty. Google's your friend.

What I have got to ask is WHY are you going to all this trouble?
Mozzies will exist anywhere - point out to your neighbour that he
probably has more larvae in his guttering than you have in your pond.
You are under NO obligation to do anything about them - if someone has
an allergic reaction to mozzie bites then WHY THE HELL ARE THEY
OUTSIDE AT NIGHT?