Old 02-06-2003, 10:20 PM
martin

Default pond, mosquitoes & DDT - potential neighbour dispute

On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 20:47:29 GMT, (Simon
Avery) wrote:

"Jez Phillips" wrote:

Hello Jez

JP I have a pond in my garden. My neighbour is concerned that
JP at dusk the pond attracts mosquitoes, which then go off to
JP their house and bite them. I think they have suffered
JP allergic reations to the bites.

JP They have suggested spraying DDT to kill the mosquitoes.

Not only unavailable for 20+ years, it'll kill all your wildlife in
and around your pond.

JP Here's the state of the pond:
JP * No pump
JP * Full of oxygenating plants & netted in winter to keep
JP leaves out, so water not a stagnant soup
JP * Full of tadpoles, pond skaters, damselflies, a few
JP ramshorn snails, other critters
JP * No sighting of mosquito larvae

Any fish? Fish love mozzie larvae, but they're pretty obvious things
so if you aren't seeing them then they're unlikely to be there.

You can kill mosquito larvae by pouring a few drops of olive oil onto
the surface of the pond. The oil blocks the larvae's snorkels.

--
martin