Old 02-06-2003, 10:32 PM
June Hughes

Default midsummers day - definitive????

In article , Someone
Like You writes
June Hughes wrote in message
In article , Mark
writes
Look everyone...we need to clear up one or two points here.

(1) 21st June is the Summer Solstice, which to most people is traditionally
called Midsummers Day or the 'Start of Summer' (which I think is weird, but
hey...). It is the longest day of the yesr for the northern hemisphere, and
is determined by the Earth's orbital inclination, or tilt, of 23.5 degrees.

I don't believe that is strictly true. It's like saying the sun always
rises in the east.

It's nothing at all like saying that!!!The Sun rises from somewhere in
the Eastern hemisphere every day, depending where you are. This varies
from a few degrees east of due north (at the north pole in
summer)through to barely rising just a few degrees from the south.

Somewhere in the Eastern hemisphere. So what is your argument? The sun
does not rise exactly at the same point on all days.

But it is a fact that 21st June (on the modern calendar) is always the
longest day. This is because the year is the time for one complete
Eart orbit of the Sun (=365.256 days). 21st December is always the
shortest.

No-one says 21st June isn't the longest day. However, 24 June is known
as Midsummers Day. There is a difference.

The fact that that .256 days exists means that we have leap years and
leap seconds etc.

(2) Any other traditional dates mean very little other just dates, as the
calendar has changed so many times since these traditions began.

exactly, so why 21 June?

See the above.

Actually, I don't really see the point in
arguing
about it. We're never going to agree and unless you are a druid, it
doesn't really matter. (unless of course, the 24th is your birthday).
Have a look on Google and you will see the various opinions.

What disagreement can you possibly have with science that has proof???

If you want any further clarification, let me know!

No comment except to say that the longest day and Midsummers day are two
different things.
--
June Hughes