Old 30-01-2003, 04:41 PM
Jeff Strickland

Default Sierra Club Does not get the Real Problem of the Enviroment

"Gary" wrote in message
I don't think you are getting it Jeff. Without immigration we would have
had a steady and probably declining population around 2015. Our current
citizens do not reproduce enough to replace thier own population. Most
industrialized nations do not. The only reason that the net housing count
is going up is because of immigration. You make it sound like a crime to
have natural borned kids in our country. we need more of this with our
values and cultures and less of the immigration with there homeland values
and culture. I kind of like this coutry that was built of God and hard

work
and plan to pass it on to my FOUR great American girls.

Gary

Well, we are always going to have people within our own country move from
one region to another. So, there will be housing demand in the desitination
regions while a housing surplus develops in the origin regions. I happen to
live in a destination region, and we need to do things differently than the
standard Sierra Club idea. I also happen to live in a region where people
come to because homes are affordable, but the jobs are 45 miles away. The
problem is that these 45 miles take in excess of two hours to navigate on
most days. The reason for the problem is that the roads were designed for
less than half of the current level of traffic. We have roads in my region
that were deisgned for 3000 cars per day when they probably had less than
300, but now they have over 3000 per hour during most of the daylight hours.

I maintain that there are two problems to solve, the immediate problem is to
deal with the population we have today, and the growth we expect to have
over the next 10 to 20 years. Then, we try to figure out at the same time,
how to keep the population explosion from extending beyond that 10 to 20
year time frame. The idea is that if we have growth that we manage to
curtail eventually, we will still need the infrastructure to support the
levels that we attain before we get the other issues under control. To
tackle either problem exclusive of the other problem is a recipe for
disaster.