Old 30-01-2003, 04:56 PM
Larry Caldwell

Default Logging on slopes up for vote

(Daniel B. Wheeler) writes:

Maybe I'm reading it wrong (I hope so), but it sounds like just a way
of getting around having the state forester approve _any_ proposed
logging on steep slopes.

It kind of sounds like Oregon's new governor is desperate for some
kind of revenue to increase state coffers. And this simple rule change
might allow that kind of logging for 6 months.

The rule change went through. Apparently it was triggered by a lawsuit
by some environmentalists trying to force ODF to enforce federal
regulations when they made their inspections. ODF has no interest in
enforcing rules it doesn't make, so they just decided to quit making
inspections. If the feds want to write regulations, let them pony up for
enforcing them. State regulations haven't changed, the state forester
just isn't doing approvals any more.

We have already had a 10% increase in severance tax this year, and what
the timber owners give the legislature takes away. If the
environmentalists want enforcement, let them pay for it.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc