Old 03-06-2003, 12:44 AM
Andy Spragg

Default Why have my carrots not come up?

"Howard Neil" hneil@REMOVE TO REPLY.co.uk pushed briefly to the
front of the queue on Mon, 2 Jun 2003 18:44:49 +0100, and nailed this
to the shed door:

^ Odd, that out of the whole packet!! only 3. I will take care of them
^ though cos i have never grown carrots before so want so see them come
^ up.
^
^ i have put barriers around each one cos there are only three, to stop
^ carrot flys getting at them.
^
^ Three years ago I had a terrific crop of carrots. The last two years none
^ have germinated and I have given up for this year.
^
^ It is interesting to see that I am not alone. If anyone comes up with an
^ answer I will try again next year.

You are not alone. I've only had three or four come up. Mind you,
they're doing better than my peas - not a single one!? How can you go
wrong with peas, for God's sake? I did the whole thing as per
instructions - prepared the soil carefully, made the V-shaped trench,
gave it a good watering, plonked the peas in, sat back and waited ...
and waited ... are they especially fussy about sowing depth? I think I
may have planted them a /little/ deep, but other than that I am
flummoxed.

Andy
--

"No, you claim the magpie is to blame for all the
worlds ills, based on your ignorance of magpies."