Old 03-06-2003, 02:08 AM
susabean

Default garden police gone wild?

"Purchgdss" wrote in message

:No different than the "garden police".
:sigh I'm so grateful I don't have a "neighborhood association"/home
nazi's in
:my subdivision. I purposely bought where I did *because* there isn't one.

I live in an area that is known to be rural. As the farmers age and the
children move away from farming, they sell some of their land off to
developers. The developers have developed, and we have become suburban. The
people moving to this county from the more urbanized counties pay big money
to live out in the country, and then fight to get ordinances passed against
the odors and sounds that the farmers that are still out here in the country
have on the farm! The newcomers also try and get ordinances passed that the
tractors/combines/farm equipment can't drive up the roads slowing traffic,
etc. Well, I say, if you move to the country, be prepared to smell the
manure and hear the roosters/cows/pigs/horses! But homeowners have, in some
cases successfully, sued these farmers that have been here for a zillion
years, because the farming industry is not conducive to property values.

We had one old guy who lived in a farmhouse for 60 some odd years. As he
aged, he sold off his land, and developers built developments. The
developments all had home owners associations. He got a letter in the mail
stating that he was considered part of the neighborhood and he had to abide
by the HOA rules and regulations. They gave him a list of paint colors that
were "acceptable" for his home. So.....he mixed them all up, and painted
his home a lovely shade of light peptobismol pink! They took him to court
and lost. He had lived by the letter of the law.

I think people get a bit carried away with some things. Basketball hoops,
boats, etc. aren't my business. IF my neighbor has something that infringes
on MY health or property, then I need to discuss it or take further action
if discussing it doesn't work. But the color my neighbor paints his doors,
or trim, or whatever isn't my concern.

Besides.....if I complain, we might get a HOA and end up living in little
pink houses!

Blessings,
tammy

--
The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom.
Henry Ward Beecher

Thank goodness I was never sent to school; it would have rubbed off some of
the originality.
Beatrix Potter

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.
William Butler Yeats

www.pictureparables.com

---