Old 03-06-2003, 04:08 AM
susabean

Default garden police gone wild?

"Vox Humana" wrote in message
.. .

"You have just illustrated why there are laws that regulate fences."

Ok, I can see your point regarding property values and whathaveyou. I
probably wouldn't want to live next door to the person with the fence....but
not necessarily because of fence, but because of the person!

But.....the bottom line is its their right to do what they want to do with
their property as long as it isn't endangering anyone else. They have the
right to act like buttheads if they choose, and they have to live with the
consequences. They paid an awful lot of money to be spiteful.....and
everyone just ignores them.

And where do the regulations stop? You don't like chain link fences.
Well.....it might be the only fence *we* can afford! In fact, before my
neighbor put up a privacy fence between our yards and around the rest of
his, it was the only fence we had! (we live in a duplex and share a
fenceline). Our house is 60 years old and the fence was chain link between
our yards, and older wire with wire gates around the rest. Doesn't look
bad....painted green.....but chain link is common around where we live.
What if someone else doesn't like privacy fences? Or PVC?

I think that the homeowner should have rights to do within reason what they
wish to their property. I do not mean things that are unhealthy, like
keeping a junk heap. I don't mean things that are dangerous, or a hazard to
others. But just because someone has a boat in the driveway........how in
creation does that hurt ANYONE else?? Just because someone puts up a well
installed, well maintained (not red white and blue! LOL!) chain link fence,
HOW does that hurt property values?? I'm not talking, by the way, of living
next door to the clampetts. But even the clampetts have a right to live the
way they want to on THEIR property, as long as it isn't infringing on real
rights and not just the sensibilities of others.

I think a lot of people would do well to MTOB.

Just my 2c
Tammy
--
The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom.
Henry Ward Beecher

Thank goodness I was never sent to school; it would have rubbed off some of
the originality.
Beatrix Potter

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.
William Butler Yeats

www.pictureparables.com

---