Old 07-02-2003, 03:02 AM
Bob Weinberger

Default Black walnut/White Pine

"kate" wrote in message ...

So to complete my education (and thank you very much sir), would a young
(say 1-5 year old) black walnut pose no threat to white pines as long as
they were a few feet outside the drip line? Should I be concerned about
walnuts amid the pines in my micro forest in the making?

Kate

1-5 yr old Black Walnut pose little threat to established White Pine - I believe you said that the
pine were 15 years old. I would, however, leave about 20 feet between the pine and walnut stems to
give both room to grow over the years. Remember that, although the drip line of the walnut is only a
couple of feet or so in diameter now, it could easily be 30-40ft in diameter 20 yrs from now.

Bob Weinberger