Old 03-06-2003, 04:32 AM
Just Me \Koi\

Default Koi

You sound like you are being defensive! I apologize if in asking the
question I made you feel like I was criticizing you, far from that. I was
actually shocked and impressed that you are able to keep such a large Koi in
such a small water. You must have incredible filtration.

I was once told that water volume is not the only criteria, that waterflow
and filtration matters. A friend of mine with prized Koi (Think minimum
24inches, and kept for 8 years) had them in 600 gallons with great flow, and
zeolite. But one day the pump went off while he was at work, that many fish
in a small enclosure and they did not stand a chance! All but 2 died!
After 8 years of babying and caring for these fish gone down the tubes by
not having enough buffer.

Anyway, all opinions and approach are welcome here and we learn from each
other on what works and what doesn't.

BTW, I have learnt a whole lot more from these "backyard pond hobbiests"
than from the professionals that want to peddle filters, zeolites, and other
quick fix, chemical dependent cycle that keeps you spending your hard earned
money in their stores.

Just my 2cents (keep in mind that I am a newby to this hobby, so what do I
know?)

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

"Denise" wrote in message
I appreciate the input from the backyard pond hobbiests here, however, I
will have to go by the advice of an expert with over twenty-five years
of breeding and selling koi at his koi farm in New Jersey. He has seen
my pond and my fish, says my set up is fine and my fish are thriving. If
they are "unhappy", you sure can't tell.

I find it somewhat interesting that some of the people I have met with
ponds, as well as some people here in this group, have HUGE ponds, not
many fish, yet they have all kinds of water problems and filter problems
and their fish are ill or dying.

I have a healthy pond and healthy fish :-)

Denise

Visit my gardens:

http://web1.in4web.com/mtcdrc