Old 03-06-2003, 04:44 AM
Marc Tripp

Default Bio Filter Recomendations

Okay.

I am working on building a 45 gallon bio filter. What I really want to know
is: What is the best material for a bio-filter??? I have been reading many
different opinions on this topic.

So what is the best material for use in a bio-filter? Lava rock, PVC cut to
small pieces, Bio balls (way too expensive), or ... what???

I would really appreciate some help here.

I hope to add a 1600 GPH pump near the end of this year and am building two
45 gallons filters, one will be a mechanical/sediment filter, the other will
be a bio filter. But what do I need to use in the bio filter???

I am on a major budget, so the less expense the better.

Thanks

Marc

http://members.cox.net/marctripp for pond pics.