Old 03-06-2003, 05:08 AM
paghat

Default garden police gone wild?

In article , Diane
wrote:

by the HOA rules and regulations. They gave him a list of paint colors that
were "acceptable" for his home. So.....he mixed them all up, and painted
his home a lovely shade of light peptobismol pink! They took him to court
and lost. He had lived by the letter of the law.

Bravo! I hope someone gave him a medal.

Diane

I'd say bravo too, supposing HE liked living in a peptobismol pink house.
There used to be a house on Capitol Hill in Seattle, at John & 23rd, since
torn down. It had had nailed all over the outside as decoations TOILET
SEATS with protest-messages written all over it. Vast numbers of busses
passedthis house coming all the way from West Seattle, from downtown, from
Ballard, it was a major bus pathway corner. So the house & its protest
messages were famous, & well-liked by bus passengers. The city, however,
dragged the owner into court repeatedly as a public nuisance, & he kept
winning on the cases on the basis of free speech. No doubt he was a crazy
dude -- his neighbors sure thought so -- but he entertained the public &
caused no real harm.

Personally I find those tin automatic garage doors ugly as hell, but
walking through the alleys of the city looking at old worn-out cracked &
broken wooden garage doors, they are aesthetic & beautiful. I once planned
to put together a book of photographs of old alleyway garage doors -- but
to my great surprise some well-known photographer beat me to it! So, if I
thought the way the Neighborhood Association Nazis thought, I'd ban their
dumbass tin automatic doors & make them restore the beautifully broken &
scarred wooden doors that were so pretty. I'd also force them to stop
mowing their lawns so that wildlife could survive more easily, & so there
wouldn't be the noise pollution & air pollution & danger to children &
pets that lawnmowers pose. And if homeowners concreted over anything, I'd
have them put in jail. Also, if they put up any gaudy fire hazard
christmas lights, I'd fine them a thousand dollars per bulb. All these
possibilities would of coruse be draconian & offensive, but far less so
than what actually gets legislated to require polluting lawnmowers,
redefining all wildlife as vermin, turning houses into advertising
billboards for christianity.

Such retched things as pass for normal in a this strange would should be
complained about by writing them all down on toilet seat covers & nailing
those to the front of the house.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"