Old 03-06-2003, 05:32 AM
Luca

Default When to prune young fruit trees

I planted 2 liberty apples, a lapin cherry and an Italian plum about
two months ago. They all seem happy, the apples even bloomed, and my
wife and I spotted several tiny apples growing. Beginners luck. ;-)

When I purchased the trees I was told not to prune any of them for
this season. Browsing the internet I have found quite the opposite
advice (do the 1st pruning right after planting), so I was wondering
who is right, or if there is a more general rule.

Also, can anyone recommend a good book on the subject?

TIA,
Luca
zone 6b