Old 03-06-2003, 12:08 PM
Silvasurfa

Default Time to take on the local authorites about cats.

Five Cats wrote in message ...
In article , Mike
writes
In article , Five Cats
writes
In article , Alan
writes
I reckon this is the subsection that would cover it. However, I also
understand that under the Animals Act 1971 cats cannot be held guilty of
trespass and the owners cannot be held responsible for any damage done:
http://www.cathate.co.uk/thelaw.htm and
http://www.cats-inverurie.co.uk/News/gardens.htm

Personally, I think we need a nationwide campaign to change the law to make
all cat owners take responsibility for their animals

If that is the most important think you can think of that needs doing in
the UK then you are a very sad being.

Who said that the eradication of the vermin was the most important
thing?

We now go into a huge list of things to divert the attention of the cat
problem.

Getting all parents to be
responsible for their children and to teach them in their term to become
responsible thoughtful people would be a far greater step forwards.
Just think of it - no gangs of drunk lads (of any age) roaming the
streets, leaving a trail of smashed bottles, bus-shelters and graffiti.
No drunk gangs of young girls trailing round town in freezing weather in
what appears to be their undies harassing people. No people encouraging
their dogs to be aggressive. No people not bothering to pick up their
dog's faeces from the pavement. No children playing football where they
are likely to damage cars, gardens and property. No late-night loud
parties. In fact no parties on your road that you haven't been invited
to. No drunk or drugged drivers. No crime. No illegal drugs. No
under-age mothers or fathers.

Now how does that sound instead?

an excuse to take the attention away from the cat problem.

how does that sound?

No, just suggesting that it would be rather nice if the bigger problems
in life could be dealt with first. Come to that dealing with the bigger
problems often sorts out the little ones, and if you want to eradicate
vermin cockroaches and rats would be a pretty good choice to start.

Your argument is fallacious, in no way does dealing with one problem
prevent another problem being dealt with. The legal system can and
should deal with many different problems at once. If it were not
capable of this, then no crime but murder would be tried in the
courts.