Old 03-06-2003, 12:32 PM
Jan Flora

Default cost of installing pergola or shade structure for patio

In article ,
(Lil) wrote:

How much should it cost for installing an attached pergola or shade
structure for a patio?

I am totally clueless as to how much is a fair price. If it matters,
I live in the S.F. Bay Area.

It depends on what you want and if you can build it yourself.

I could build one out of scrap yard and dumpster stuff for about $10 in
solder and propane, for a copper pipe one. Or about $5 for a wood one, if
I log and mill the wood myself. (We have our own sawmill.)

Since you're in the Gray Area, figure at least $1000 minimum, if you hire
someone to do it.

You don't say how big a structure you want. That matters a LOT. How big
is your patio? My little brother is a building contractor down there. I can
ask him what a square foot estimate would run.

Jan, born in Burlingame, fled to Alaska