Old 03-06-2003, 12:56 PM
kevin bailey

Default [IBC] azalea bonsai - long

Hi Jim, Thanks for posting this excellent article by Sandy Vrooman. I
would like to see a few additions and amendments if it were to go onto
our IBC site. Some things have moved along in the ten years or so since
the article appeared.

In propagation it should be mentioned that a higher percentage take and
more rapid rooting is achieved if the medium is kept on the dry side and
the tops misted regularly.

When encouraging the initial tall growth, rubbing off all lower shoots
is essential but I'm not so sure about removing the lower leaves. That's
not something I've ever seen a need for as they are helping with
photosynthesis.

For bending trunks, I've found self amalgamating tape (electricians
adhesiveless rubber tape) or vet tape of the type used for binding
injured animals legs (elasticated, slightly sticky and in a wide variety
of colours) more effective and less fiddly than muslin or raffia. The
time of year that major trunk bending is attempted can also determine
how flexible they are. Some major bending can be achieved in early
winter that would snap instantly in spring.

Others will doubtless be able to contribute further.

Cheers

Kev Bailey

Azaleas as Bonsai
by