Old 04-02-2003, 03:01 AM
DGiunti

Default Myrtle Tree Underplantings

In article , "Crabby Barnacle"
writes:

I have a huge 100 year old Myrtle tree. (NOT a crepe myrtle). It's the
kind of Myrtle that's also called a California Bay Laurel. I've heard it's
a big allelopathic (sp?). I'd like to do some underplanting and add some
low evergreen shrubs near it.

Does anybody have experience about companion planting with this tree?

If it really is a California Bay Laurel 100 years old it is likely a 40 foot
thick shrub workings it's way to being a tree in the center. They (at least as
far south as the bay area) are invasive to the point where you really have a
hard time digging near any of the trunks without the use of a saw. They are
just like that were they grow naturally in Mendicino county too. It grew fast
enough there that my friends there used it as their primary cooking and heating
fuel. I would expect the same thing in Oregon.

They like a lot of water, if they can get it. Without it they may be more
manageable.

If it does not look like that, it's not a California Bay Laurel.

David Giunti email: unity
What is the question? Gertrude Stein's last words
No one mouth is big enough to utter the whole thing. Alan Watts

On Display in the UK
http://www.web-gallery.co.uk