Old 03-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Mark

Default midsummers day - definitive????

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article ,
writes
Kay Easton wrote:
In article , Someone
Like You writes
What disagreement can you possibly have with science that has proof???

Midsummer day is not a scientific concept. It is a traditional date,
like Christmas Day. It is therefore not provable by scientific means
(other than by the methods of historical research to determine when
people in the past have celebrated it).

It's more than "traditional", it's a Quarter Day (see my other
comment).

Your demonstration that it is a quarter day seems a lot more convincing
to my mind than the other poster's demonstration that the summer
solstice is on Jun 21st and his assertion without proof that midsummer
day must also be on jun 21st.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

My assertion actually was that there is absolutely no reason whatsoever for
anything to be celebrated on the 24th June. Tradition is not a reason. The
24th June has no real signifigance. At all.