Old 03-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Repeating Decimal

Default Kill Ants Organically?

in article , Margaret Kenna at
wrote on 6/3/03 9:19 AM:

"B. Joshua Rosen" wrote:

Is there any way to kill ants organically? We have tried pouring
boiling water on the colony, but it is just too large. Are there any
natural predators of ants that could survive in a south-western
Virginia climate?

Hot water sounds about as inorganic as you can go.

What makes you say that ?

Bill

There is no carbon in water, i.e. it's inorganic.

So use carbonated water.

Strictly speaking, carbonates although containing carbon, behave
inorganically as far as chemical reactions are concerned.

I am guessing here, but I think that using washing soda (sodium carbonate)
solutions will give soapy characteristics to the solution. If I were to go
that route, I would try to get potash or potassium carbonate to add to the
water. It will add potassium to the soil. It will also raise soil pH, but
that is not always a desirable thing to to. In the West, where I live, the
soil is usually too alkaline anyway.

Bill