Old 03-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Mary Fisher

Default Why have my carrots not come up?

I have just had a thought. I know that root crops are supposed to be sown
direct into the ground they are to grow in and not transplanted. Does

anyone
know why?

No. I sow mine in small cells in the greenhouse and when they have at least
three leaves I transplant them into the open ground. Well, I say open but
they're protected from the hens ...

I use Flyaway and don't find them hard to cultivate.

I've been growing them in the greenhouse through the winter, there are still
about a dozen to harvest.

I was terrified of carrot fly until I found the resistant strains - which do
seem to work.

It seems to me that, as carrots seem to be so hard to cultivate, more
success may be had if grown in a seed tray under controlled conditions.

But
what happens to the crop when transplanted?

Mary