Old 03-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Jim Carter

Default garden police gone wild?

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003 19:04:55 +0100, "Charlie"
wrote in rec.gardens.edible:

And don't bring the World Wars into it, this is niether the time or the
place. At least we don't start them.

Sure, bring the World Wars into it. We have nothing to be ashamed of and we had
the strongest ally of all: the English language in the hands of a master.
What General Weygand has called the Battle of France is over. The Battle of
Britain is about to begin. Upon this battle depends the survival of Christian
civilization. Upon it depends our own British life, and the long continuity of
our institutions and our Empire. The whole fury and might of the enemy must very
soon be turned on us. Hitler knows that he will have to break us in this Island
or lose the war. If we can stand up to him, all Europe may be free and the life
of the world may move forward into broad, sunlit uplands. But if we fail, then
the whole world, including the United States, including all that we have known
and cared for, will sink into the abyss of a new Dark Age made more sinister,
and perhaps more protracted, by the lights of perverted science. Let us
therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the
British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still
say, "This was their finest hour."

Winston Churchill
House of Commons, June18th 1940
--