Old 04-02-2003, 03:41 AM
Lil

Default need advice regarding landscaping

So how does it work? Is it a cheaper and faster variation on the
weedmat? That and the newspaper providing biodegradable material
which will loosen up the clay soil?

Lil

(Faye Lifford-Earle) wrote in message ...
Not knowing your location Lil, I chose the safest of ansers. I too live
with an abundance of clay...AND my backyard has a great slope to it too.
What I have done is fast, easy, economical and best of allit WORKS!
Lay newspaper 4-6 papers thick over your weed infested area. Wet the
paper thoroughly! You may now cover with soil....mulch...whatever., and
plant immediately.
In 2000, I turned an area into a lovely semi shaded garden...by the
end of that same season, plants were thriving wonderfully. Don't snub
clay soil, it is rich in ammendments Lil.
Ldymac
Lil wrote:

Hi!

My family recently purchased a home, but we have to landscape our own
backyard. We have clay soil, and a slope on which the back fence
sits. The climate during the winter's pretty damp and foggy so it's
pretty muddy lately. However, now that the weather's getting warm,
we're having a lot of marsh grass infesting our yard. After weeks of
backbreaking weeding, we decided to weedmat a significant portion of
the yard and cover the mat with woodchips. My question is is weedmat
on the back slope, or for that matter clay soil, a bad idea? Won't it
retain more water?

We've also decided to have a pavingstone patio. Does anyone know how
much a patio about 12x 15 or more should cost to build? Does anyone
know any major chain home improvement store will install a paito for
us?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Lil