Old 03-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Default pond, mosquitoes & DDT - potential neighbour dispute

Anita wrote in message
after Bob wrote:

Now you presumable want to keep your wildlife pond and would not wish to
introduce one of the larger species of fish so may I suggest

Sticklebacks to
take care of any larvae there may be.
Finally, I too suffer badly from some insect bites and therefore wear a

good
insect repellent containing DEET, perhaps you could suggest they do to.

Unfortunately sticklebacks can be just as destructive to wildlife as

larger
fish. They'll certainly take out newt tadpoles.

True they will eat tadpoles and other creatures, that's nature which is what
a wildlife pond is all about, but they would only take a few a day unlike,
say, a full grown Koi that would simply hoover them and everything else up,
plants and all.
--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.