Old 03-06-2003, 11:56 PM
sueb

Default curing garlic

Steve Calvin wrote in message ...
John S. DeBoo wrote:
snip

Actually they were just recently planted as I got a couple heads from the market
that had stems on them after 2 days so I thought, 'What the heck' & popped the
cloves 1x1 in the ground where they are going to town. Since this is a long way
from Oct, should I simply leave them in the ground over winter?

No clue John, I've never tried it. I always plant in the fall and
harvest late June or July. I'd probably see what happens. If they get
to the point of trying to grow scapes, cut the scapes off and see if
they begin to brown as described earlier in the thread, maybe they
will by fall. If they do then harvest and throw a new crop in just
before frost sets in. I would recommend trying a hard neck variety if
you can get it. I usually grow German Red and German White but if you
don't like strong garlic, they wouldn't be for you.

I've planted garlic in the spring and had it ready for harvest late in
the summer. Of course I live about 20 miles from Gilroy, California -
the
garlic capital of the world!

The cloves probably won't be as big as if you had planted it in the
fall.
If you're worried about that, then use the plants like green onions
and
pick them when the stalks are healthy looking.

Susan B.