Old 04-06-2003, 12:20 AM
Tom Jaszewski

Default Crow Problem...How do I keep them out?

On Tue, 03 Jun 2003 11:16:54 GMT, (Jan Flora) wrote:

In a perfect world. We happen to live in an imperfect world.

Wolves, coyotes, bears and eagles have killed my beef calves this spring.
Wolves ate the
tail and butt off a 2 year old steer yesterday. He's still alive, but I'm
headed down to the
grazing lease to kill him as soon as it gets light. (Just got the call.
Another cowboy found
him and because he's too hip to carry a weapon, didn't kill the steer for me.)

You can admire nature from afar. The day you watch wolves eat the guts out
of a moose
calf while it's still alive, check back with me.

Jan, in Alaska

All that snow has clouded your judgement. You assume too much. Having
spent much of my youth in the back country of America and fighting
fires in Alaska, I don't find wolves eating a moose unnatural or
particularly disgusting, no where near as disgusting as butchering
cattle and crying about an act as natural as wolves feeding on a
moose.
I would be disappointed to see cattle suffering by being half eaten
alive, it does seem cruel, but no more cruel than wasting resources so
that you can eventually kill and eat it.

BTW I grew up hunting and eating game.

"Nature, left alone, is in perfect balance.
Harmful insects and plant diseases are always present,
but do not occur in nature to an extent which requires the use of poisonous chemicals.
The sensible approach to disease and insect control is to grow sturdy crops in a healthy environment."

Masanobu Fukuoka, One Straw Revolution--1978