Old 04-06-2003, 12:20 AM
Joe Shmoe

Default question on clinometers

mhagen wrote:

My Suunto clino is more than 30 years old and still works fine. I just
try to reduce the number of gadjets tied onto me in the brush. An
r-skop is a cruising tool- if you're not cruising, definitely stick
with a clino or abney. As for Brunton - I've heard they now own the
Silva brandname. They have always seemd to be a few bucks cheaper than
the imports and have as good a reputation.

Been using an Opti Logic laser hypsometer/rangefinder for the last year
on big old growth timber in rough country. It's had to be fixed twice
but is worth it.

I agree to a certain point on the relaskop-for-cruising thought. That point
is about a BAF 6.25 (metric). Anything lower than that (ie you're in a
smaller diameter stand) and I've always found a prism to be more useful.
Usually equates to wanting a relaskop for the coast and a prism for the
interior. At least in this part of the world.

But I digress. I didn't know about the Brunton/Silva thing. I have one of
those plastic clinos that Silva put out years ago. That was a piece of
junk.