Old 04-06-2003, 12:32 AM
Steve Calvin

Default scapes

Gary Woods wrote:
(IC_Gardener) wrote:

Does anyone know when the best time to cut scapes off garlic? As soon
as you see them? Let them make one curl? Don't cut them?

Boy, are you cruising for a flame war!

But seriously folks: If you have plenty of moisture and plenty of soil
nutrients, you may not need to cut the scapes. At my location in upstate
New York, it makes a _big_ difference in bulb size. I cut mine as soon as
I can get to it, to maximize the energy savings for the plant. Which
means that many have started to curl. Younger scapes are more tender for
stir-fries and for pesto as well.
Leave a few on for comparison.

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. Again today.

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
www.albany.net/~gwoods

I'm in the Mid-Hudson Valley of New York and do mine exactly as Gary
described. Never had a problem and the garlic has always come out
good. I cut 'em as soon as it's evident that a "pod" is attempting to
form and use 'em in salads or whatever... Good Eats, OOPS, that's
something else huh? ;-)

Gary: Ever make it down to the Garlic Festival in Saugraties the third
week in September?

--
Steve