Old 04-06-2003, 12:32 AM
shannie

Default compost and recycling

"Drakanthus" wrote in message
A bit O.T. but I always wondered why we are not supposed to put

enveloppes
in the paper recycling containers. The only reason I can think of is

the
glue on them, but surely a glossy magazine contains as much as an

enveloppe?

Many thanks

Gogo

Our council says it's the adhesive - perhaps there are different types.

My partner was a postman for 15yrs in the uk and tells me that the snails
are attracted to the glue used on envelopes, by all accounts its like a drug
to them. Postboxes frequently are inhabited by colonies of snails that eat
the glue off the envelopes, I imagine that this may be one of the reasons
envelopes are not permitted in recycling bins because they'd be attracted to
them.
Another possible reason that glossy/shiny paper is not wanted in council
recycling bins is because it's a much more costly method to remove the china
clay from the paper, this clay creates the gloss and is also water repellent
and must be removed before pulping.

Thats my understanding for what it's worth

Shan