Old 04-06-2003, 12:56 AM
shannie

Default Why have my carrots not come up?

"jane" wrote in message

Anyone know how big a carrot is when the fly attacks? I'd say when the
roots begin to swell, but I've never seen it mentioned...

As a girl I used to be given the job of thinning the carrots for my dad. He
used to tell me to be very very gentle with the foliage as squashing it
releases a scent that attracts the carrot fly, he had an open 'manure heap'
and I used to have to dig a hole in it with a trowl and bury the thinnings.I
was also only allowed to do the thinning in the late evening. We did the
same with parsely as it would seem the scent of this crushed attracted the
fly also. Old dads tale??...dunno, but it seemed to work.

Shan

jane

Mark Twain