Old 04-06-2003, 01:44 AM
Ann

Default garden police gone wild?

zxcvbob expounded:

You probably do live near people who think like that. They just haven't
organized yet.

Eh, every once in awhile they try, but we shoot them down at town
meeting. If you want that kind of living situation, then go make one
somewhere, don't try to bring it in after the fact when you're moving
into an already established neighborhood.

One year some newbies to town decided that they didn't like people
bringing their work trucks home, they tried to impose a 9,000 lb
limit on vehicles that could be put in a driveway. That was voted
down soundly at town meeting, if a guy makes his living in that truck,
and makes enough money to support his family and pay his taxes with
it, who are we to say they can't park in their own driveway (I'm not
talking tractor trailers, I'm talking utilibody type trucks, panel
trucks, dump trucks).

I bought my house in 1978 between two eyesores. In one, the messy son
moved out, and the daughter (who lives there with her mother) took to
gardening after watching me, her house is cute now. The other side
neighbor thankfully moved out, the new neighbors cleaned up tons of
debris, they have a nice yard now. Was it my example? I dunno. All
I know is no one told anyone what to do. We all take care of each
other, but we mind our own business.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA