Old 04-06-2003, 02:32 AM
John S. DeBoo

Default Chilli recipe ?!

NC wrote:

Hi all,
My chilli plants are starting to bear some nice fruit, and by the looks of
the number of buds, I'll be getting lots!!
As a result, I'm looking for ways in which to preserve them for later use -

Here's how we preserve chile in NM. Once plucked from the plant, place the
chiles in some water for maybe 20-30 minutes. Then put them onto the BBQ grill
until the skins are fairly black or darkened over most of the surface. Remove
from the BBQ and cover with wet towels. After 10 min or so, take them out from
the towels 1 by 1 and peel using thin plastic throw-away gloves. Remove the
seeds. Place in a bowl and either chop up finely first or just place them onto
small freezer bags (sandwich size) of a size suitable for smaller servings.

Putting therm in water allows them to soak up a bit. Placing on the grill cooks
the chili and helps with skin removal by creating steam within the chile. The
wet towels greatly assist in seperating the skin from the chile, kinda like
steamimg it from the chile pod. Gloves save you from getting it into your skin
which with prolonged contact will drive you crazy burning and itching.

From here you can make all the chili sauce or salsa etc you want all year
round. We do a full gunny sack of chile every year. Good stuff
Dang, now I'm Jonesing for salsa & chips................... or a burger w/ green
chile!

--
John S. DeBoo