Old 04-06-2003, 02:44 AM
Ted Byers

Default Taxonomy of Phal violacea varieties

"Al" wrote in message
http://www.orchidview.com/gallery3.htm
Has pictures of P violacea 'Red Bank'
and the dark form of the violacea Malayan type I think of when I think of

Malaysian violacea.

Thanks, that gives me a better sense of what to expect when the plant
reaches blooming size.

Violacea has been bred in captivity for a long time now. It is one of

those
heavily line bred species for which dozens of pure color strains and

highly
improved forms exist as opposed to the wild type. The orchidview website
link above also has a picture of the blue one. :-)

Yes, the blue one may be an inbred or line bred strain of P. violacea f
coerulea that Christensen talks about. It may also be something I will add
to my collection and to my breeding experiments later on.

It occurs to me that people from the area where violacea is native might
typically separate forms of it based on the islands it is found. Hence

many
of the variety or type names that refer to islands in that area but look
just like each other to the lesser trained eye.

You're undoubtedly right in this.

Thanks again,

Ted