Old 04-06-2003, 03:56 AM
Scott

Default Briggs & Stratton Replacement Engines vs rebuilding existing engine

I appreciate everyone's input. I think I will take it out and at
least try to get it to work even if it's half-assed. It should be fun
and I haven't rebuilt an engine since taking small engine class in Jr
High. My job is info technology so this isn't something I get to do
very often.

thanks a bunch

"Bob M." wrote in message ...
Well, what have you got to lose by taking it apart and trying to free the
piston? If you can't free it up, you go for a newer engine or tractor. If
you do free it up, you'll probably need to work on the cylinder and piston,
and replace at least the rings and cylinder head gasket.

I think at this point you should remove the engine, drain the fluids, remove
the head, and stand it up so the piston is facing upwards. Add several
tablespoons of oil all around the piston and wait a few days to see if that
frees it up. If not, take a block of wood, place it on the piston, and
gently tap it to see if it'll move at all. Also put a little bit of tension
on the flywheel or crank shaft, so if the piston does move, the crank and
connecting rod will all be part of the event. You may have to pull a lot
apart to get the piston out from inside the engine, as opposed to outside
past the head gasket. I don't know if there's enough room to pull it down,
but as the cylinder might just get a little wider as you go down, it may be
easier to remove the piston in that direction.

If you don't already have a book that describes these procedures for that
engine, I'd suggest you buy one directly from B&S. They're only $12-$15 but
have a wealth of information in them.

If nothing else, maybe you can find out what really got jammed up, and how
bad it was, and the rest of us can learn something from the failure.

Bob M.