Old 04-06-2003, 05:32 AM
Cass

Default black roses question

In article , lms
wrote:

In article ,
says...

I've seen a couple of Black Jades and another of the so called "black" roses
recently. Neither of them were even remotely black, not even dark red, more

of
a bright red, I was really disappointed in their color.

I don't know where you saw your red roses but if you want black roses you must
plant your black rose where it gets some shade and a rose pushed to the
limit of this will deliver the blackest rose.
I grew Guinee for about a dozen years, it's claimed in many books that it's
*the blackest rose, but I've seen it red red more times than I can tell you.
It didn't upset me, I didn't feel betrayed, I only felt enlightened. They all
behave similarly.

They were closer to
the last photo of the set on HMF.
I wonder if these roses become lighter in our sun? Anyone in a strong sun
climate growing any of the "black" roses?

yep. I quit chasing black roses after seeing so many red ones, but there
are still few roses on earth which can touch Oklahoma.

My blackest rose is Thor. It is a rich red in summer, but when the
days get short (and the bloom gets really sparce, like in October) it
is really dark and 5 inches across:

http://www.rosefog.us/Roseoftheday/ThorOct02.jpg

People are wild for a really dark rose. I took it to Miriam Wilkin's
Celebration of Old Roses, and three people wanted it bad. One took one
of the two blooms to try to root. Now, with the long days, it is the
darkest cherry red.