Old 04-06-2003, 05:56 AM
M4RV1N

Default Bull Frogs

Heather
writes:

Please give your comments on the pros and cons of having a bullfrog in a
pond along with 2" - 4" goldfish, plants etc.

There are people I trust who claim that Bullfrogs can eat small fish, but I
have never seen this myself. I would think it would be incredibly difficult
because they use a sticky tougue to slap outward and latch onto prey. How this
would work with a slimy fish I do not know, but apparently it does happen.

The upside is that frogs will just collapse the local insect population. I
once saw a large Bullfrog that had been flattened by a car and about five
hundred june bugs had squished out.

A very large Bullfrog (7-8") will eat amazing things like small birds, mice, 2
foot snakes, and all other smaller frogs. They are especially nutty about
trying to eat huge things in the spring after hibernation.

Mark Ervin