Old 04-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Frogleg

Default Mosquito Prevention.

On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 04:34:55 GMT, JK wrote:

Bats are not predators of significant amounts of mosquitos. The
generally seek other prey. They will not reduce the mosquito numbers
around your home.

On Tue, 03 Jun 2003 21:57:51 GMT, "saabdued"
wrote:

I just put up a Bat House, and will try to use nature for my own purposes. I
have heard bats eat tons of mosquitoes. Unfortunately, the information that
came with the Bat House says that it could take one to one and a half years
to attract bats. That didn't sound too encouraging for an immediate problem.

See

http://www.batcon.org/bhresearcher/bv8n2-4.html

for some information with references. Around here (very watery), the
best prevention is removing sources of standing water. If one has a
water-collection barrel, various 'dunks' are available. Birdbaths
should be regularly dumped and refilled anyhow. They always mention
"old tires" here as water-collection places. Since the city will pick
up and (I hope) dispose of tires properly, I don't understand why
people would keep them around, except as dirt-filled planters, which
means they wouldn't be water-filled anyhow.