Old 04-06-2003, 02:32 PM
lms

Default black roses question

In article ,
says...

I don't know where you saw your red roses but if you want black roses you

must
plant your black rose where it gets some shade and a rose pushed to the
limit of this will deliver the blackest rose.

Hhhm... my experience has been that my darkest red roses acquire a blackened
shade in the heat of the full summer sun.

uhhhh hhhm, you musbe hallucinating. Why do you think yellow roses turn white
in the sun? As an analogy. Why won't Peace have any red in it in the full
sun, why etc., etc.?

there are 2 things you can see in this pic
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/Blkokie.jpg
one is the bright summer sun, unquestionably visible; two is the shade the rose
sits in. I did absolutely nothing to that pic, it's strictly kodacolor, it's
exactly what I saw and what I'll see again. This one grows on the north side
of the house, gets a window of sun midday over a 2-story house.
If you grow Guinee in the full sun, you'll never see anything approaching blk.

A rose can be in the shade while half the bush is in the bright summer sun, no?
That'll work too, if your rose is actually big enough to provide some shade.
If you want a really black rose, I'd suggest Sfinge. Or Villa Pia.

Oklahoma, for one. The only black
in the shade I've seen, was on a now dead Black Garnet, with a fatal case of
what I can only guess to have been a botrytis or mildew infestation. The
entire buds blackened, and the canes quikly fell victim as well. It was only
a little shade, as it was near an apple tree, so late afternoon gave it some
shade.

Dead roses don't count, can't jump.