Old 04-06-2003, 03:20 PM
animaux

Default garden police gone wild?

On Wed, 04 Jun 2003 05:25:08 -0400, Ann wrote:

You are getting tiresome with your reaching. No one said the tractor
trailers make them second class citizens. I'm married to a truck
driver. It's a matter of safety, not asthetics. Have fun in your
sanitized world. I like mine much better.

Why do you insist it's a sanitized world because of a few aesthetic things being
out of place are an annoyance to those of us who comply with deed restrictions?
My garden is hardly a sanitized world. It happens to be both Texas and National
Wildlife Federation Backyard Habitat Certified. It was just filmed for a
television program here in Texas, and when asked what I'd call my garden I
answered "orderly chaos." What part of that is sanitized? I have rats, bats,
snakes, skinks, lizards, anoles, hummingbirds, cuckoo birds which nest every
year in one of our live oaks, barn swallows, purple martins, etc...

None of what I have or want is sanitized. However, and I will say this again,
we are protected by the deed restrictions which EVERYONE signed at closing.

If you don't like those things, don't move here. I don't put you down for
believing the way you do. The problem is, this is Texas. In great part, people
insist on conformity. It keeps property values up. It is not like that up
north. On Long Island my gardens were whatever they were. I could care less
about basketball hoops (still don't, but when you hang dead game I find it
obnoxious).

Not everything is how it is in New England. I don't always agree with some of
what goes on down here, in that regard. However, I did agree and in order to
maintain our property value for other TEXANS who want this type front yards, we
must do what is demanded by what we signed on the dotted line to do. And indeed
it is a civil matter.