Old 04-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Pam Morris

Default novice gardener seeks expert advice

I have a largish garden which slopes down away from the house. I can't
afford to terrace the whole lot so I'm doing it myself in bits.

The bit I'm working on at the moment is going to be a 6' x 4' bed containing
plants that form low mounds and/or grow horizontally. The soil seems quite
heavy & contains lots of chalk (I'm in Kent) - I've dug out some bits that
are 7 inches across. I've skimmed off the grass, dug out all the weeds that
I could see, flattened quite a few leatherjackets, plucked up the courage to
move the worms out of harms way and turned the top 5 inches of soil over
(well, should finish the turning this weekend if it stays dryish).

So.... when I've finished the actual digging & levelling bit - should I be
digging in compost to the whole bed or can I just add it where needed for
the plants? Should I add anything else to the soil to improve it.

Advice/suggestions eagerly awaited !

Thanks,

Pam