Old 04-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Nedra

Default Topping off pond question

Thanks a million, Lee. Actually .I figured it was
prohibitive cost-wise else the
ChlorAm-X folk would shut down.

It is interesting in John's later post that he talks about
squirting 'some' potion in his pond during a water
change so apparently he was
just gigging me on chemical use for the fun of it !! ;-)
Oh Well .... LOL!

Nedra

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
For what it's worth, I just went through all this with my water

conditioner
folks. I have one of those Kinetico filters for the house . . . they say
that you would need an activated carbon (AC) filter the size of the house,
which would only be good for a few months, to remove the chloramine for
house usage. They recommend the AC filters ONLY for drinking water, like a
separate dispenser at the kitchen or bathroom sink. And they need frequent
replacement. Nedra, your best bet is "still" the ChlorAm-X to protect the
fish. If the chloramine gets through to you, it's no big deal - it won't
hurt you. But if it gets through to the fish - and you can never tell when
the AC filter has expired - it could kill them. Those filters designed for
drinking water dispensers are only good for X number of gallons, the
expected amount of drinking water used over several months. You could put
that much - and more - in your pond during one water change.

Save your money and use the Amquel/ChlorAm-X or some other type of
conditioner for the pond. Use the AC filter for your drinking water, if it
will make you feel better.

Lee

"Nedra" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Thanks John ... and just yesterday I ordered ChlorAm-X .
The 5 lb box too -oh well. Meanwhile I'll look for the filter.

Nedra