Old 04-06-2003, 04:09 PM
Paul Kelly

Default novice gardener seeks expert advice

"Pam Morris" wrote in message
I have a largish garden which slopes down away from the house. I can't
afford to terrace the whole lot so I'm doing it myself in bits.

The bit I'm working on at the moment is going to be a 6' x 4' bed

containing
plants that form low mounds and/or grow horizontally.

Think about a single "exclamation point" to contrast with these...

So.... when I've finished the actual digging & levelling bit - should I

be
digging in compost to the whole bed or can I just add it where needed for
the plants? Should I add anything else to the soil to improve it.

Advice/suggestions eagerly awaited !

Council of perfection: Spread 6 inches of compost/manure over the whole area
and double-dig in then add more for each plant.

Life's too short approach: Spread pelleted chicken muck over the area, fork
in. For each plant, dig a hole 2*pot size. Shovel in a spadeful of
compost/manure, and another over the soil that will go back in the hole,
rake back and tread down. When finished give the whole area a thick mulch of
compost/manure and let the worms do the hard work.

pk