Old 04-06-2003, 05:56 PM
Tom

Default Brill Review

This is my second year with a Brill. I've read the positives and the
negatives posted about reel mowers and don't disagree significantly
but find that the positives (quiet, always starts, better cut, no
pollution, little maintenance, no gas/oil/etc., doesn't kick up clouds
of pollen and dust, easy to push, altogether a pleasant experience)
far outweigh the only significant negative which is that they don't
handle long weeds and grass well. Sometimes a second cut is necessary
but if I keep up with cutting, i.e. don't wait to long between
cuttings, one cut is sufficient. And my lawn is rocks (slightly
buried)and weeds and grass.

My neighbor/friend did accuse me of buying a "toy" instead of a mower
when I got it but I told him it was a "reel" mower and of course I'm
waiting for the day when his gas mower won't start! Then I'll offer
him mine which starts every time.

The literature said sharpening shouldn't be necessary for 10 years.
So far it's going good but does anyone have long-term experience with
a Brill and can you comment on sharpening them?