Old 04-06-2003, 06:20 PM
JohnDKestell

Default HELP--Late start on garden!

Hi, New here.

Anyway, I moved in the early spring, then made a long trip, and just today
"prepared" as well as possible my new plot.

Here's what I did to "shock" the soil into condition (it was actually pretty
good, nice and dark and crumbly, pH about 6.7-6.9). I tilled it to about 10",
raked off as much "crap" as I could, weeds, roots, junk...... Then I covered
it with about an inch of about 4 year old wood chips (stored outside, well
rotted and aged), and tilled again to a foot deep. I raked again (much less
garbage this time), then covered it with some cattle bedding from the stock
yard (it was steaming when I cut into it--a little too hot from bacteria?
still, it seemed to be "working" really well--you can't really tell where the
manure stops and the sawdust and straw begins) and a good sprinkling of blood
and bone meal. It rained for about 2 days. When it dried enough (just this
morning) I tilled it and raked everything nice and smooth. It looks good to
me, but it's my first shot at starting a garden from basically, a lawn. (I
inherited my last, and really my first garden from the previous tenant).
Anyways, the rain seemed to have helped in getting the whole deal mixed in
completely. I can't discern the stuff I added from the soil. NIce and
crumbly.

Well, I don't know why I'm asking for advice, because the plants are already
bought, and I plan to go ahead. But has anyone else faced this problem? I
mean, just trying to jump start a garden like this?

I already have my compost heap started for the fall crop, and even a load of
horse bedding to help it winter over. I'm sure it will do better next year
(the manure sort of mellowing out, the straw sort of breaking down).

I know my situation is far from Ideal, but any suggestions about making the
best of it?

Thanks,
John

also, what is a good late summer/fall idea to help seriously build up some
great soil for next year? Is it ok to just add my compost, and then maybe a
serious layer of manure/bedding, and let it break down over the winter? Should
I turn it under, or wait until spring for that?