Old 04-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] Bonsai disease FAQ

This would be one of the cases where I would admit to
lack-of-experience; I have no idea how to care for a juniper in the
tropics. You're probably right that dry winds are a bad thing.

As for the whole issue of cold dormancy, I've discussed the topic
before (see archives) and it's not something that there's been a lot
of research on, outside of the cold requirements of orchard trees.
The consensus seems to be that temperate plants require cold dormancy
in order to put out a synchronous burst of flowers and new roots in
spring. Since many of us do transplanting and root pruning in
spring, we are dependent on that burst of growth. It may not be
necessary to the survival of the tree, but it does tend to anchor the
tree in a predictable cycle.

everyone else can grow junipers down here [ Shimpaku,Procumbens,
San Jose' and so on],but not me.
I suspected it was humidity.Now I wonder if I can rectify that one?

I have seen over 12 year old junipers down here grown from cuttings,
so even the cold period may be a minimal need.

Okay,we try again.
Bet you never thought of Tropical islands as being low in humidity.
It's the dry season and constant breeze.
Thanks again.
Khaimraj
[West Indies/Caribbean,
Sempre Spring Zone].