Old 04-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Ted Byers

Default First Paph.

Phrags are probably easier. Phrag Sedenii has been very sucessfully
cloned ('Blush'?). There was a paper published in a german orchid
journal (Die Orchideen?) quite some time ago (I have a copy somewhere,
but I'm not sure where). Herman Pigors at Oak Hill repeated the process
based on the paper and told me it worked. I've 'cloned' phrags in flask
(some crosses tend to clonally multiply in flask). Never tried taking
adult material and propagating it though.

Hmmmmmmm. I don't read German. Is there a write-up of the method and
current experience with it, along with a comparison with other methods and
taxa, available in English?

Well... You have more of a 'Novelty' type paph. Many paphs have
mottled or tesselated leaves. And they can be quite different. Paph
malipoense has wonderful tesselated leaves, but is not nearly as easy to
grow as Paph. Maudiae. Maudiae is Paph. lawrencianum x callosum. One
of the first paph (or orchid) hybrids ever made, registered in 1900.
Anything made with that group of paphs (the barbatum section) is often
referred to as 'Maudiae type'. Most of the Maudiae type have Maudiae in
the background, it is a good parent. If you have seen the 'vinicolor'
paphs, those are mainly Maudiae type. Another standard is the ice
green/white, exemplified by Maudiae "The Queen" AM/RHS
(http://www.ladyslipper.com/2184j.htm). Also has a Silver Medal from
the CSA, and I think AM/RHS too. Maudiae type paphs will look very
similar in form to this one.

Thanks. That is an attractive flower, except for the green. I am not sure
I like green in a flower, Not eough contrast with the green of the foliage.
Maybe it is just a matter of taste, or maybe it grows on you ... :-)

If you are interested in paph breeding, there is another good book
by Koopowitz and Hasegawa, Novelty Slipper Orchids. Out of print,

probably.

I'll be sure to take a look for this. Thanks.

A lot of paph pictures at Antec's site (www.ladyslipper.com). More
than you can look at... I have a bunch too, but not all of the highest
quality. http://www.msu.edu/~halgren/orchids/orchidpc.htm

You have some very nice plants and pictures. Of those I saw on Antec's
site, I think I like those in the brachypetalum and parvisepalum sections
the best. Where do these fall in your scale of seed productivity from
effectively sterile to able to produce a few thousand seeds? And what about
ease of growth relative to other paphs? I think that with some of the
others, it may be necessary to see them in the flesh to get a better sense
of them.

Cheers,

Ted