Old 03-03-2003, 12:03 AM
Lorenzo L. Love

Default red and green plastic

Zphysics1 wrote:

From: (Zphysics1)

These plastic 'mulches' are supposed to be used around tomatoes and green
veggies. Has anyone used them? Any comments?

I usually use black plastic mulch for most plantings--tried some plants with
the red mulch--no discernable difference was observed.

You mean I spent all that money for nothin'?
Jeez.

/z.

It probably depends on how your tomatoes are planted. I believe the
tests that showned improvements in tomato yield with red plastic mulch
was done on commercial farms with widely spaced rows planted so power
equipment can travel the field. That allows lots of light in to be
reflected up from the mulch. I know my home garden tomato patch was too
small and too densely planted to allow much light down to the ground so
the red mulch didn't do anything for me. It may work fine in bigger
scale plantings.

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

"We recognize, however dimly, that greater efficiency, ease, and
security may come at a substantial price in freedom, that law and order
can be a doublethink version of oppression, that individual liberties
surrendered for whatever good reason are freedom lost."
Walter Cronkite, in the preface to the 1984 edition of 1984