Old 04-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Not the Karl Orff

Default garlic/onion habits?

In article ,
(Frogleg) wrote:

(Suggested by the 'Speaking of garlic' thread) How come onions and
garlic grow to maturity, have the foliage die back, are harvested,
dried somewhat, and then start growing new leaves as the bulb shrinks
and decays? If you leave them in the ground, do they act like
daffodils, coming up every year and dying back? Garlic cloves are
planted to produce bulbs, which is a lot like a daffodil producing
little adjacent bulbs, but I've never heard of leaving an onion in the
ground to reproduce. What's the deal with our fragrant frends?

I think you can leave them. Tulips live in the same manner.